Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The art of Surrendering

Well its definitely been awhile since I last posted something. I'm not really a blog type of person but every once in awhile I get inspiration to record the things that God has shown me in hopes it might encourage someone.. And even if there is no one who reads, I like looking back on it and remembering.

God has been teaching me alot about surrender. You know that song that goes, "All to Jesus, I surrender, humbly at His feet i bow. Worldly pleasures all forsaken, take me Jesus take me now. I surrender all... I surrender all. All to thee my blessed savior, I surrender all." ? I love that song. Its too bad that its not nearly as easy to do as it is to sing Sunday morning during worship. What does it really mean to surrender? Well it could mean alot of things for alot of different people. I could be giving up things that have caused strongholds in a persons life. It could be breaking off relationships that are hindering our walk with God. It could even mean spending less time on the internet and more time in Gods presence.

For me it meant being honest with myself.

The bible says that there is not one who does good. Don't get me wrong.. Whenever a person decides to follow the Lord, he puts a new nature in us and gives us a spirit of righteousness. We become righteous by the blood of Christ. Its nothing we do, besides surrendering. But whenever there are things that still need to be surrendered, theres parts of our heart that need to be changed.

Its not enough to just cut out the thorns in our lives that distract us from the Lord. If it is so hard to give up, we should take a good look at our heart. Admit it. Admit that your heart doesnt want to give up something so stupid in order to be closer to the Lord. However sad the truth of our motives are, we ought to realize that God knows the deepest parts of wickedness that lie in our hearts. Surrendering for myself meant that I had to take a look at what God expected of me, and how I didn't match up. It meant that I had to realize I could make as many rules for myself and I could make all the changes in the world.. But if I was not changed by God, I would eventually find myself in that same miserable pit that I swore I would never walk back into.

The heart of man is so desperately wicked. We ought to remind ourselves that there is not one ounce of good in us apart from God. God has been showing me in a very painful-end-of-myself way that I was foolish to think that I could make good out of horrible situations without the Lord. He is the definition of good. He is always faithful and always good in all that He does. It was my pride that kept me in my pit and pride that was caging me there.

Lose yourself, gain Christ.

"Your will above all else
My purpose remains
The art of losing myself
In bringing you praise"

There is no life away from You. <3

No comments: