Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Selfish Christianity

I've been thinking about the spiritual state of America. Please bear with me though.. Because I know I'm not the most eloquent person when it comes to writing. And I don't always feel like i have important things to say. But I know this is important. I know because it was layed upon my heart... So hard that I literally almost cried. It struck me today how I'm so much more concerned with the details of my own life that I don't see the pain around me. Don't get me wrong. Its not living in America that makes me selfish.. Its just that we've taken all of our blessings for granted.. and the majority of America has picked the curse over the blessing.
While I pop out my 80g ipod and listen to music.. Or sit down at the laptop browsing on the internet.. Or sitting at the dinner table eating food... With my family. I forget that there are people with no homes. There are families breaking their backs so that their children can have food to keep them alive. There are even little children who are afraid to come home from school.. Because their dad will assault them sexually or abusively. It makes me so angry how arrogant the people in this country are. It makes me even more upset to look at my own heart and see how I have taken for granted almost all the things the Lord has blessed me with. How selfish are we? But of course.. Its easy to say that this world is in grave sin.. And we are all in need of a savior.. But does that mean we forget about everyone elses pain but our own?

I've been taking a real look at my life. I've been thinking about what profession to pursue.. Where God wants me. How He will use me. Before... It was. What am I interested in? What career would I love to do? Make alot of money?

But thats the problem with the main mentality of America. What will make ME happy? What will give ME the most money? Its centered upon I. Its so self-centered. Why would the Lord bless you with all these things... To have you use it for yourself? What happened to our hearts guys? Ask the Lord to open your eyes up to the pain that is going on around you. Those who do not have the Lord have no hope. These are the people Jesus reached out to. What are we doing with this life? Maybe that isn't the question we should ask ourself. The real question is.. What aren't we doing?

I'm so tired of living for me. I've waisted so many years.. So many chances to show someone Christ; to show someone that there is HOPE. I have it so easy. I have a family that loves me.. A job. A body of believers who continually encourage and support me. But what am I doing to show someone Christ?

Christians don't forget your calling!
Don't stop praying. Don't stop sharing.
Stop being selfish, start really loving people.

How much does the Lord's heart break over America alone?
Think about it.

No comments: